About Me

My photo
Taryn is a two-day-a-week speech language pathologist and a full time mama. Lawson is a teacher at an alternative school where he loves his job! We have three wonderful, spirited boys and are so blessed!

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Arrows

I am part of a small group that our chuch has called Sow and Sew. It is led by some wonderful ladies-Ruthie, LeeAnn and Lauren. They are women who are gifted in the area of sewing and also in mentoring young women. It's for moms with young children and we meet once a week to talk and eat and share and listen and sew and laugh and be encouraged and encourage. It's wonderful. There are babysitters there as well, so we all get two hours of time with each other without having to make sure the babies aren't climbing something or eating something they are not supposed to be eating or climbing. It's wonderful!

Today Ruthie said something that really stuck with me. And it wasn't the first time she said it, but today it hit home. She read Psalm 127:4-5-"Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. 5 Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate." (NIV) This is a translation from the Message: "Don't you see that children are God's best gift? the fruit of the womb his generous legacy? Like a warrior's fistful of arrows are the children of a vigorous youth. Oh, how blessed are you parents, with your quivers full of children! Your enemies don't stand a chance against you; you'll sweep them right off your doorstep." Ruthie said that she always liked these verses because it showed how she viewed her children. The Lord gave her and Everitt three children that were their "arrows" that they kept safe in their "quiver". They would take them out and polish them and sharpen them but keep them close. But the day came where they took out those arrows and sent them into the world. That's how I am looking at Lawson. He is my arrow. I keep him close right now, praying over him and even now, telling him about Jesus. I pray for his future, that he would be a warrior for the Lord, a minister of the Gospel, a light to the world. Right now he is mine and Lawson's to raise, to sharpen. But one day, he will leave us. We will "shoot" him out into the world. And even now we are praying that he will make a difference to those around him. We are praying that he will be a warrior. Completely and utterly in love with Jesus.

4 comments:

annieck said...

What a powerful (and super timely) message for me. Thank you for sharing, Taryn!!!
I LOVE this post!

Sarah said...

I really enjoyed reading this post too! I've always found that scripture to be a little confusing, with the arrows and all. But now I can see the beautiful sybolism.

Anonymous said...

Powerful indeed! Thanks for being such an awesome daughter-n-law.

Prentices said...

Aw man, I really wanted to do that small group! Sounds like a wonderful experience. Thanks for sharing!