About Me

My photo
Taryn is a two-day-a-week speech language pathologist and a full time mama. Lawson is a teacher at an alternative school where he loves his job! We have three wonderful, spirited boys and are so blessed!

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Finn's Birth Story

At my 37 week appointment, the doctor that I saw that day informed me that my primary OB was out for 5 weeks due to surgery on her elbow.  He offered me an elective induction at 39 weeks if I wanted one.  I told him I would rather wait until at least July 6th, the day before my due date.  However, it was so hot and I was so uncomfortable, that I began to rethink my decision.  The next day, Lawson, the boys and I went to the pool and then to Target.  On our way to Target, my right hand went numb as well as the right side of my face and the peripheral vision in both my eyes dimmed.  I called my OB's office and she wanted to see me to make sure nothing was going on.  I used to get migraine headaches and this is what it felt like, but I wanted to make sure.  The doctor I saw agreed that it was a "migraine aura" and that nothing serious was wrong with me.  At that visit, I mentioned to the doctor that I would like to schedule an indiction at 39 weeks, which would be July 2nd.

At my 38 week appointment, I had made very little progress, so I went ahead and scheduled my induction.

July 1st was my and Lawson's 12 year anniversary, so we were able to go out for dinner and enjoy some time together before Baby Hopper #3 arrived.  We stayed up late trying to decide on middle names for Baby H.  Somehow, I managed to get a few hours of sleep, waking up at 3:30 am.  We had to be at the hospital at 5:00 am. During the early morning hours, I had been having some stronger contractions, but was still thinking they were Braxton Hicks contractions.  When we arrived at the hospital, we got to our room and found out I was 3 cm dilated and having some real contractions.  So, Baby H would have been born that day or the next without the induction.  By 6:00 am, Pitocin was started and my water was broken right before 7:00 am.  That was the most painful part of the whole process.  I decided to labor for a little while before getting my epidural, in hopes of not stalling when the epidural was administered.  But, a little after 8:00 am, I received my epidural.  My labor and delivery nurse kept putting me in various positions to try to get the baby to drop more.





For some reason I thought I could take a nap.   

I also had to get three epidural boosts due to some pain, so that could have slowed down progression as well.  By 11:30, I was ready to push.  I pushed for an hour before the doctor arrived to check on my progress.  It turns out that the reason I couldn't get the baby to crown was because he was "sunny side up" or his face was facing the ceiling which makes it harder to deliver.  The doctor was able to manually move the baby to a face down position and within 20 minutes, the baby was ready to come out.  Since we didn't know the gender of the baby, we were so excited!  So, after 3 pushes on one contraction, at 1:06 pm, Finn Elias Hopper entered the world.  It was so amazing!  Lawson got to tell me what the baby's gender was and he said, "It's a Finn!" "It's a boy!"  He was absolutely perfect.








 After everything was cleaned up, Lawson called my mom to send the boys down so they could meet Finn first.  Lawson and Judah were so excited and could not wait to meet their brother, although Lawson was a bit disappointed the baby wasn't a girl.  They also got to go out to tell Mimi, Papi and BeeBee what the baby was.  Lawson did announce that we had a baby and then told them it was a boy.  He then proceeded to turn around to run back to the room to see Finn. He was completely in love with his brother, after just knowing him for a few minutes.  He would look at him and say over and over, "He is so cute!  He is so precious!"  He will be well taken care of by "Brother".

First bath!






Family of five!


Mimi and Papi



DeeDee and BeeBee




Sarah and I have the best time!!!!



Tony and Anna, our wonderful friends and neighbors!


Our stay in the hospital was nice, but for some reason I thought I would be able to rest more.  I had forgotten that the doctors and nurses come in all the time to check on you.  And the baby.  We were glad to get home.  And the boys were so excited to see Finn and have him home.  


Leaving the hospital



We are so blessed with this new little life!  Finn Elias Hopper is such a gift from the Lord!  We are so excited to see what life holds for him.  Love you, Finn!



No comments: